Monday, December 15, 2008

Math 093 Boot Camp

I have made it my goal to put together a functional textbook for Math 093 and have it ready for the Fall 2009 semester. I'm quite disappointed with our current book. It's poorly organized and not well presented. It also does not have nearly as many problems as there should be. I ran a draft outline past Russel today, and he likes what I've put together. Now I need to think through the layout and come to a decision about how I'm going to teach presentation through examples.

The plan is to start by developing a workbook. I'm not going to spend a lot of time working on writing up explanations right now because that's not as important as laying out the problems in the right order, having the right number of them, and other such issues.

If I get far enough in the next month, I might even be able to pilot some of the worksheets in my Math 093 classes next semester. The first two chapters (arithmetic and fractions) are likely going to be the most difficult ones to put together.