Monday, September 24, 2007

Presentation matters

Next semester, I'm going to start off by placing a much higher emphasis on presentation to my algebra classes. My experiences this quarter indicate that this is actually a foundational part of their math education. It has a number of benefits:
  1. It sets the standard of reading and following directions carefully
  2. It forces students to think about what they're doing and exposes their lack of thought
  3. It makes the papers significantly easier to grade
  4. It outlines a style of thinking that encourages logical and organized thought
  5. It prepares them for more difficult and more complicated algebraic maneuvers down the line
I've made some adjustments and most of my Math 097 students are on board with the presentation (and I hope they're seeing their current material of adding/subtracting/multiplying polynomials as a clear extension of these things). Jason is considering writing up a document about these algebraic presentation things, and I might help him out if I can.