Thursday, August 9, 2007

New Reading Material

I can't quite figure out where I came across this title, but I've been reading "Enhancing Scholarly Work on Teaching and Learning" by Maryellen Weimer and I must say that I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. The primary discussion at hand is how to view the growing body of work that addresses teaching from a scholarly perspective. Without going into a history that will be full of errors, let me simply say that this is an area that is still struggling to find its identity and figure out what standards it should set for itself.

But as I've been reading through this book, I've also been getting my hands on the exemplary articles that she suggests, such as "Confidence in the classroom: Ten maxims for new teachers" and "Helping students understand grades," both of which are interesting reads, and I might have more to say about them later (after I have had some more time to think about them).