Monday, May 14, 2007

The Campus Interview

This is another post preparing for the job panel. I want to focus this one on the campus interviews. I had two interviews, and they were quite different from each other for a number of reasons.

After trying a couple times to organize my thoughts, I think the best way for me to do this is to set it up like a Q&A session. The topics are so varied that it seems that this is probably the most efficient way to do it.

Q: Where did you interview?
A: I interviewed at Simpson University (Christian college in Redding, CA) and Nevada State College (Henderson, NV).

Q: Was there anything distinct about the Christian college?
A: It was structurally very similar to the other interview. The market is less competitive (because there are fewer qualified applicants -- where "qualified" includes agreeing to a statement of faith). They also asked me some theological questions during the interview that I would not have been asked at a secular college. But otherwise, they were essentially the same.

Q: Where does the campus interview fall in the process?
A: Most of the time, you have a phone interview, first. If they like you enough after that then they'll fly you out for a campus interview. The campus interview seems to be the last step before they make their decision. However, I was called by CSU Fresno to schedule a campus interview without having a phone interview, so this is not universal.

Q: What is the structure of the interview?
A: The details will depend on the campus, but there seem to be a number of common components. They will send you an itinerary with all of this information:
  • Teaching sample: The teaching sample for both interviews was very different. In one, it was a one hour talk where I was able to teach whatever I wanted and the other one was only 20 minutes long and they told me exactly what they wanted from me.
  • The interviewing panel ("Bad Cop"): This is the part where they sit you down at a table with 4-5 other faculty and they ask you a bunch of questions.
  • Meeting with Human Resources ("Good Cop"): This is where they tell you about your benefits (if you should get employed). These people have very little to do with whether you get employed, so there's nothing to fear here.
  • Meeting with the Dean: This is the "vision-building" part of the interview, where you hear about the goals and the direction of the department.
  • Campus Tour: It's exactly what you think it is. They take you around to various parts of campus and point out things to you.
  • Meal: Most campuses will take you out to lunch or dinner, depending on the time and length of the interview.
Q: How long did it last?
A: One of them lasted all day (9 AM start, and we finished dinner at about 8 PM, but I did have a one hour break before dinner) and the other was just a morning (they picked up from the hotel at 7 AM and we finished before noon).

Q: What was the interview part like?
A: I just remember lots of questions. Some of the things they asked me were my views on how I would teach a certain type of class, what I think is important about teaching, and things like that. If you spend lots of time preparing your teaching statement, you'll likely have asked yourself at least a few of the questions they will ask you. If you can remember, have a cup or bottle of water with you for this part. It serves as a chance to take a quick rest, plus you'll going to be doing lots of talking.

Q: Will there be reimbursements?
A: Yes. You should keep all your receipts for everything on your trip, but you may not need them all (you may get a per diem meal stipend). There will be a form to fill out and send back to them when you're done. If you drive, keep track of the mileage and gas expenses. If you fly, you should be able to include airport parking or shuttle service.

Q: How did you prepare the teaching sample?
A: First, figure out who your audience will be. The full hour talk was given to a number theory class, so I picked a stand-alone number theory topic (continued fractions). The other talk had a designated topic, but was to be given to the interviewing committee plus a few students in the program. Since the school has some emphasis on preparing teachers, I assumed there would be some math education majors in the audience. They won't have as broad of a math background, but they are going to be interested in the presentation. So I planned to ask a few extra questions to the audience than I normally would. Everything else is just a matter of teaching. Be yourself and teach like you would normally teach.

Q: Any bits of random advice?
A: Sure...
  • Take full advantage of bathroom breaks. Matthew Horton, a former UCSD math grad, gave me this advice when I happened to cross paths with him at the Meetings in New Orleans. They are watching you all the time and constantly building an impression of you, and you can start to feel a bit worn down by it. If there is time for it, take a minute in the bathroom to sit and relax, even if you don't really have business there.
  • Make sure you wear comfortable shoes. You don't know how much walking they will have you do.
  • Greet people by name if you can remember, otherwise ask them for their name again when you part company.
  • This may be somewhat controversial, but don't overdress. I had a chance to talk with the students at one of my interviews, and I asked them about the other people who interviewed. One of their comments was that the other guy wore a suit, and that made him seem very formal. I wore khaki pants with a shirt and tie to both interviews. But then again, I got a job at a school where there were lots of southern Californians. I don't know if it would have gone over as well if I had interviewed at a school in the Northeast.